Webby Awards unveiled the nominees for the 17th edition, with the nominees for the prizes to be decided by IADAS. Also, the People’s Voice Awards opened starting today and will close on April 25th. 2013 edition of Webby Awards received over 11,000 entries from over 65 countries globally. From the thousands of entries submitted to The Webby Awards, only 7% – 5 in each category – are recognized as nominees.
Tom Hanks, Lena Dunham, Burning Love, Medium, Tumblr, Mashable, Angry Birds Star Wars and Humans of New York are among the pop-culture and Internet superstars nominated for this year’s awards. Nike leads all nominations with 17 nods, followed closely by Google, The New York Times and HBO with 12 nominations each.
The Webby winners will be selected by Academy members such as Arianna Huffington, Kevin Systrom (Instagram founder) and David Bowie (musician), Internet fans from all over the world will also help decide who takes home a Webby by voting in The Webby People’s Voice Awards. Last year, Internet voters cast over 2 million votes, setting a Webby Awards record.
The awards ceremony will take place in New York, will see winners saying the famous 5 words speeches (Al Gore: “Please don’t recount this vote”) and will be broadcasted online on May 22nd.
Many of this year’s nominees reflect the ever-growing roll social experiences play in helping consumers discover new content, videos, communities and brands. Others succeed by confirming the significant effect mobile and tablet devices have had in taking Internet access well beyond the typical confines of home and work. From Obama For America (Social Media Campaigns), NASA’s Curiosity Mars Rover (Best Overall Social Presence) and Red Bull Stratos (Branded Entertainment) to Netflix (Mobile Media Streaming) and MLB.com At Bat (Mobile Events), the profound impact of social curation and mobile devices on popular culture and business is strikingly evident in this year’s Webby Nominees.
Every year we are constantly amazed by the innovations Webby Nominees push forward and this year is no exception (…) This year’s nominees reflect a new personal and pervasive Internet where friends and people we trust are our curators and mobile devices stretch the network into the most discreet places in our lives. It is truly an Internet made by everyone, accessed from anywhere
Executive Director The Webby Awards.
Projects featuring some of the world’s most talented cultural and creative innovators as well as newly minted Internet stars also earned recognition. Webby Nominees range from superstar Charlize Theron (Charlize Theron Gets Hacked) to Tom Hanks(Electric City Show) and Lady Gaga (Gaga’s Workshop), and Jennifer Hudson (Weight Watchers 360) to breakouts like Chris Hardwick (Chris Hardwick’s All Star Celebrity Bowling) and Lena Dunham (Lena Dunham for Obama for America “First Time”) to favorites like Jerry Seinfeld for “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” and Beck for “Hello Again: Beck 360:Experience” its groundbreaking interactive music experience.
Nominees earning multiple nominations include: Nike (17) Google (12), HBO (12), The New York Times (12), NPR (10), BBC (10), TED (9), UNIQLO (8) Pitchfork (7) VICE Media (7), and Funny Or Die (7).
17th Annual Webby Nominees full list is available here and some highlights are available below:
- Best Mobile Media Streaming: HBO GO, Songza, iPlayer Radio, Hulu Plus, Netflix App
- Best Individual Performance: Burning Love, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Jean Dujardins’s Villain Auditions, Charlize Theron Gets Hacked, Lena Dunham for Obama for America “First Time”
- Social: Best Education and Discovery: TED, National Geographic Education, Nasas Curiosity Mars Rover, Medium, The New Public Library
- Best Mobile User Experience: KAYAK, Cool Hunting Gift Guide, NikeID Mobile, Google Maps for iPhone, Mailbox
- Best Social Media Campaign: One Small Tweet, Hashtag Killer, Obama for America – For All Campaign, Nike Barbershop, Justin Bieber’s “Girlfriend” Fragrance Launch
- Best Weird Site: Cecilia Prize, One Tiny Hand, TUMBLY, Sandrific, Sound Creatures X Pictoplasma
- Best Comedy Longform or Series: Burning Love, Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, Neil’s Puppet Dreams, Clueless Gamer with Conan O’Brien, Bad Lip Reading
- Best Entertainment for Tablet: The Onion, Funny or Die, Metropole Tweetphony, GIRLS, True Blood Social Media Makers Day
- Best Web Personality/Host: PBS Idea Channel, Woman v. Workout, 7 Minute in Heaven, Chris Hardwick’s All Star Celebrity Bowling, Fresh Off The Boat with Eddie
- Best Humor Website:
- Funny or Die,
- The Onion,
Hailed as the “Internet’s highest honor” by The New York Times, The Webby Awards is the leading international award honoring excellence on the Internet, including Websites, Interactive Advertising & Media, Online Film & Video, Mobile & Apps, and Social.
Established in 1996, The Webby Awards received nearly 11,000 entries from all 50 states and over 60 countries worldwide last year. The Webby Awards is presented by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences (IADAS). Sponsors and Partners of The Webby Awards include: Google+, Yahoo!, Vitamin T, Live Nation, ShareThis, The Daily, Funny or Die, MLB Advanced Media, Mashable, BuzzFeed, Business Insider, PricewaterhouseCoopers, and Guardian News and Media.