(adds info on platform’s results in 2012 and more details on the plans for 2013)
In 2012, Elefant.ro had Euro 3.6M turnover, with record revenues of Euro 1.4M in Q4, more than the entire 2011.
One of the main factors that supported the positive evolution is represented by our orientation towards creativity in online marketing, to which we gave significant budgets. A deciding differentiation way compared to the competition is also our prices policy, in which we give to the client the discount we get from our suppliers. We want to get books out from the niche area they are now and make them accessible to as many people as possible
President Management Board Elefant.ro
The market where elefant.ro is active is one in continue development and with a continuous growth potential, in tandem with the fast evolution of the online medium. It offers constant to players new opportunities such as dedicated solutions and apps.
For 2013, Elefant.ro estimates a growth of 30% of the specialized market.
For this year, we are estimating an organic growth of the e-commerce market of around 30%, as the European average is of 20%. Romania still has a lot of potential in e-commerce, with the dynamics of this sector aiming to reflect in next year’s evolution
In 2013, the company will continue the investments started in 2012 and started expanding on new business verticals, which are an important growth objective for the online retailer.
In 2012, elefant.ro added toys to its products’ offers, an extended range that goes from classical toys to most elaborated gadgets for kids, board-games or computer games.
When it comes of books, the main income growth engine for elefant.ro revenues, the Romanian market is in line with the international trends, with most popular categories being fiction, kids books and the practical books such as motivational ones or guides.
Once with the new management of Universal Online Promotion, the company also appointed a Consultative Council to optimize the decisional process and its expansion towards new business lines. The council includes Dan Vidrascu, Diwaker Singh, Ion Sturza, Radu Georgescu, Sergiu Chirca and Orlando Nicoara.
In February’s start, Romanian press was announcing that Cristian Herghelegiu, until recently CEO of PayU Romania, took over as CEO at Elefant.ro, biggest online book store in Romania.
The info was confirmed by Herghelegiu for Wall-Street.ro. He also added that he decided to quit PayU in the end of last year, but didn’t give, for the moment, more details on this change. Herghelegiu has over 15 years of experience in IT and, since May 2011 until recently, he worked for PayU, first as Strategy Director and than as Country Manager.
Elefant.ro was launched in June 2010, when the project got an Euro 1.2M investment from Greenlight Invest, investment fund controlled by Ion Sturza, former prime minister of Moldavia and former deputy general manager of Rompetrol.
According to Paginademedia.ro, that quotes Ziarul Financiar, Elefant.ro registered a change of shareholders, with 6% of shares going to Orlando Nicoara, general manager Mediafax Group, Radu Georgescu and Diwaker Singh, former CEO Zapp. According to available info, the 3 will also enter company’s consultative council.
Another new member of Elefant.ro’s team is now Ana-Rita Da’ros, that will handle marketing and sales. Previously, she worked for Brand Diffusion (Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland), Fashion Days, Goldbach Media and Pro TV.
Who is who at Elefant.ro ?
- former General Manager PayU Romania, CEO Elefant.ro
- graduated Military Tech Academy
- worked previously for companies such as Gecad, Microsoft, Advantage Software Factory or Central Europe On-Demand.
Adrian Dinu – Director of Operation
Ana-Rita Da’Ros – Director of E-commerce
- in charge with marketing and sales.
- worked previously for Brand Diffusion (Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland), Fashion Days, Goldbach Media and Pro TV.
Consultative Council at Universal Online Promotion (owner Elefant.ro)
- over 35 years of international managerial experience
- involved in GeCad group during last 10 years
- Tech start-up supporter in Romania and Europe
- respected tech entrepreneur in Eastern Europe
- important role in promoting tech initiatives in Romania
- president and member in administration councils of companies such as Axigen and GECAD Net
- director ePayment and ROL.ro.
- active in Romanian online for 15 years
- created the 1st online advertising agency
- General Manager Mediafax Group (Apropo Media, Mediafax and Publimedia)
- owner of a number of web projects and one of the most influential online managers