Illegal wildlife trafficking has prevailed for centuries and today reaches an estimated market value of $19 billion USD (source: Havocscope). The demand for aphrodisiacs containing these ingredients is one of the drivers of this trade and has clearly led to the poaching of endangered animals and plants, many of which risk extinction. China is a significant consumer of these aphrodisiacs, the ingredients for which are sourced from all over the world.
The Colombian Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development became aware of the demand for its own wildlife species and wanted to stop this illegal activity. So they turned to Geometry Global Colombia, their partner agency since 2014 with whom they created several successful campaigns to save their marine ecosystems from the invasive Lionfish species.
Bringing in the expertise of Geometry’s Hong Kong office and WildBond Hong Kong, a conservation group dedicated to protecting endangered species, Geometry Global embarked on a complex project to invent new products with this fruit and create a new brand that would appeal to the Chinese buyer of erotic merchandise and aphrodisiacs.
Multiple products were developed including massage oil, candles, and an energy drink, and marketed under a provocative Chinese brand name (She Shou Tau, or “Orgasmic Peach”) with a compelling package design to suit this unique sales channel.
The products are available in select adult shops and massage parlors in Hong Kong and Shenzhen, China. To date, 500 kilos of chontaduro have been used to produce massage oil (sold 3500 bottles), candles (sold 800 units), and an energy drink (sold 3,000 bottles).
Gabriel Vallejo, former Colombian Minister of Environment and Sustainable Development:
On the fauna traffic matter, we are attacking the source of the problem by eradicating the behavior.
Edwin Pineda, ECD Geometry Global Colombia:
As an agency we focus on changing behavior. In this case we realized that it would be nearly impossible to change the behavior of illegal traffickers. So instead we focused on getting the buyers to switch brands at the moment of purchase. What a beautiful problem to solve!
Juliàn Hernandez, ECD Geometry Global Hong Kong:
Wildlife traffic is a global issue that requires global thinking. That’s why we’re thrilled with this collaboration, that has given us the chance to invent new products, a new brand, and craft an effective marketing and distribution strategy in China with the goal of saving endangered animals across the globe, while supporting farming communities in Colombia. It is indeed a once in a lifetime opportunity.
- Xavier Serrano, Geometry Global Colombia Chief Executive Officer
- David Paysant Geometry Global Hong Kong Chief Executive Officer
- Daniel Comar, Geometry Global Asia Pacific Regional Executive Creative Director
- Juan Jose Posada, Geometry Global UK Chief Creative Officer
- Edwin Pineda, Geometry Global Colombia Executive Creative Director
- Julian Hernández, Geometry Global Hong Kong Executive Creative Director
- Julian Guarin Barkach, Geometry Global Colombia Creative Director
- Omar Romero, Geometry Global Colombia Planning Director
- Camilo Afanador, Geometry Global Colombia Regional Production Vice President
- María Cristina Manosalva, Geometry Global Colombia General Account Director
- Maria Paula Marmolejo, Geometry Global Colombia Account Director
- Carlos Bedoya, Geometry Global Colombia Art Director
- Daniela Abril, Geometry Global Colombia Account Executive
- Carlos Arredondo, Geometry Global Colombia Creative Director
- Harshad Sreedharan, Geometry Global Hong Kong Business Director
- Jay Lee, Geometry Global Hong Kong Copywriter
- Anastasia Simone Franz, Geometry Global Hong Kong Art Director
- Celia Wang, Geometry Global Hong Kong Account Manager
- Zeph Teng, Geometry Global Hong Kong Associate Creative Director
- Kathy Yu, Geometry Global Hong Kong Account Executive
- Pablo Verbeke, Geometry Global Hong Kong Videographer
- Ivan Meza, Geometry Global Colombia Independent Creative
- Alex Del Río, Geometry Global Colombia Independent Creative
- Andrés Colantoni, Country Manager and Partner
- Andrés Moreno, Creative Director
- Camilo Lucena, Audio Director
- David Cárdenas, Audio Director