In a world first, BMW drives THE 8 on Venice canals in global campaign from Serviceplan
In Autumn 2017 Serviceplan Campaign International in partnership with BMW conceived a new identity for the luxury segment of BMW in the form of ‘Bayerische Motoren Werke’, a long-term branding for luxury automobiles of the brand, and the high-end services offered to their customers.
THE 8 is the first model from BMW’s new luxury offerings, followed by THE 7 and THE X7, and Serviceplan Campaign International were behind the creation and production of a stunning film marking the worldwide market launch starting in November 2018.
For the first time ever a car was physically driven on the canals in Venice, where a film crew were granted permission to film with a video drone, and the city allowed several pontoons especially for the shoot. Directed by Daniel Wolfe out of Anorak Production, the film’s protagonist is a young boy who is a big car enthusiast, unfortunately growing up in Venice, a city with no cars but countless boats. Cut to approx. 20 years later and the grown up man is living out his dream by driving THE 8 through the Venetian canals. Passing iconic places such as Canale Grande and Rialto Bridge.
The campaign features a 45”, 30” and 15” TVC, which will be broadcast on TV and online, and will roll out globally as THE 8 is launched around the world. Also an online feature “City of no Cars” is in development, featuring impressions of Venice as the city where everything and everyone is transported by boat and no cars exist, interviews with Venetians, and behind the scenes of how Serviceplan pulled the stunt off. Short social media edits will be shared on Instagram, Facebook and Youtube.
‘Bayerische Motoren Werke’ sharpens the profile and positioning of the most exclusive vehicles in the portfolio as an independent product category, and what could be more exclusive than being the first car allowed to drive through the iconic Venetian canals.
Client: Bayerische Motoren Werke
Agency: Serviceplan Campaign International
- Alexander Schill, Global Chief Creative Officer Serviceplan Group
- Markus Kremer, Executive Creative Partner
- Thomas Heyen, Executive Creative Partner
- Florian Klietz, Managing Partner
- Kolja Danquah, Creative Director
- Kristian von Elm, Managment Supervisor
- Henning Rieseweber, Producer
- Damian Kuczmierczyk, Senior Art Director
- Bastian Tripp, Senior Copywriter
- Daniel William Hill, Junior Art Director
- Phillip Trübiger, Junior Art Director
- Uwe Dreher, Director Brand Communication BMW BMWi BMW M
- Kirsty Skinner-Gerth, Head of International Campaigns, Artwork, Film, Entertainment Marketing
- Ann-Kathrin Geertz, Head of International Campaigns BMW, BMWi, BMW M
- Gabriele Lemmle, Project Manager, International Campaigns BMW, BMWi, BMW M
With THE 8, BMW enters a new era of automobile luxury. It is not just premium, it is above and beyond. It is a bold, confident and sophisticated interpretation of modern luxury.
Bayerische Motoren Werke is built from the strong believe that only those who dare to think big, who leave the established behind, who have the courage to pioneer new grounds, are those who drive humankind forward. Something BMW has always delivered on and has done it again with the new 8 Series Coupé.