DIESEL launched its Spring/Summer 2020 For Successful Living campaign.
The famous DIESEL tagline was created in the early 90’s, when founder Renzo Rosso wanted a phrase that would remain both timeless, and true to the growing denim label’s irreverent, bold and unexpected foundation.
The phrase, in just a trio of words, captured Rosso’s vision by wrapping in and connoting: irony, provocation, eccentricity and kitsch. It also solidified a mantra he had: never talk down to your customers. Treat them as equals. Involve them in your world (that was interaction 30 years before it was called so). If you wore DIESEL, you were living successfully. Simple as that.
While the claim has been part of DIESEL’s communications ever since, today DIESEL returns to its nucleus by debuting a newFor Successful Living story, celebrating its core product, denim; acquainting a new generation with DIESEL’s original messaging as a challenger of conventions and common places; and reminding the world that living successfully means staying true to oneself (making YOUR way the successful way) – while not taking oneself too seriously.
The centerpiece of the Spring/Summer 2020 campaign is a film by François Rousselet. It features a superhero movie actor on set, having a tough day and not quite nailing his scenes. Over with it (or rather, after having exhausted his movie director), he heads back to his trailer, changes into his DIESEL denim gear, steps out looking way more relaxed, and does the thing he couldn’t do on set but is simply a consequence of who he really is. Watch the video in the link below to see for yourself.
Accompanying photography was lensed by Kourtney Roy, and features models floating, flexing and flying.
Because, what does it all boil down to, ultimately? That For Successful Living is fundamentally about confidence, and the power that comes from finding in oneself both strength—and irony.
The campaign’s overall creative concept and execution was handled by Publicis Italy.
The protagonist of the video is wearing a texan tuxedo made by a D-MACS denim, one of new Diesel’s hero fit, with a straight cut and regular waist for a modern shape in heritage wash, embellished with Diesel denim division embroidery on the back pocket. The D-BRISTY jacket is a contemporary interpretation of the classic trucker jacket, exploring oversized volume and proportion, in heritage wash.
Under the jacket he is wearing the D-EAST-P shirt, the classic Diesel western shirt in the same heritage wash.
The look is completed with Diesel sunglasses characterized by a geometric navigator frame with a rock soul, made entirely of acetate, with lenses that extend up to the edge, for a bold, contemporary look. The temples are personalized with diagonal metal inserts that evoke Diesel’s industrial style and add personality to the frame.
Creative Agency: Publicis Italy
- Global CCO Publicis WW: Bruno Bertelli
- CCO: Cristiana Boccassini
- General Manager: Daniela Di Maio
- Global Creative Director: Thiago Cruz
- Global Creative Director: Mihnea Gheorghiu
- Head of Art: Costanza Rossi
- ACD/Copywriter: Michela Talamona
- ACD/Art Director: Fabrizio Tamagni
- Copywriter: Filippo Festuccia
- Art Director/Designer: Luca Villa
- Account Director: Filippo D’Andrea
- Account Executive: Mirko De Martini
- Senior Strategic Planner: Monica Radulescu
- Head of Social: Alessandro Bochicchio
- Social Media Manager: Doina Tatu
- Head of Production: Francesca Zazzera
- TV Producer: Anna Sica
- Art Buyer: Caterina Collesano
Production company: Division
- Director: François Rousselet
- Executive Producer: Jules de Chateleux
- Producer: Alexis Fonvieille
- DOP: Matias Boucard
- Editor: Nicolas Larrouquere
- Stylist Diesel outfit: Clare Byrne
- Stylist: Liate Cohen
- Music Production: Sizzer
Photography & Product Videos Credits
- Photographer/Director: Kourtney Roy – Lambert Lambert
- 2nd Video Unit Director: Edu Perez
- Production Company: Lambert Lambert
- Producer: Carole Lambert
- Production Director: Ségolène Vial
- Stylist: Clare Byrne – Totalworld
- Assistant: Madeleine Kachurak –Totalworld
- Hair: Chi Wong – M+A World Group
- Make up: Nami Yoshida – Bryant Artists
- Casting: Edu Perez
- Set Design: Romain Gautry