KITKAT’s famous slogan “Have a break, have a KITKAT” finally gets a well-deserved 10 days break to celebrate the brand’s 85th birthday in new campaign
KITKAT is launching a global campaign, inviting everyone to join in the celebration of the 85th anniversary of the brand.
Created by Wunderman Thompson, it raises awareness of a social media competition to help people mark the occasion of KITKAT turning 85 in 2020.
The campaign highlights that, at this unique moment, KITKAT will make its most recognisable brand asset, the “Have a break, have a KITKAT” line, even stronger by inviting people to have fun with it while the slogan has a break for just ten days – before it returns refreshed, renewed and stronger than ever.
Wunderman Thompson will introduce #ABreakForHaveABreak across social channels, giving KITKAT fans far and wide ten days to come up with the best, sound-a-like lines they can while the “Have a break” line has a well-deserved break.
Running until 26th October, KITKAT will post daily across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to stimulate participation. Wunderman Thompson has also created an AI online slogan generator as part of the campaign to help fans of the brand come up with the best soundalike slogans for the competition.
KITKAT will also reach out on social channels to other brands inviting them to spread the word about the contest.
At the end of the competition, Jeremy Bullmore, the legendary creative who joined J. Walter Thompson London in 1954 as a trainee copywriter, three years before the iconic KITKAT line was coined in 1957, will help the brand pick the best temporary soundalike slogan.
The ultimate winner will be treated to an 85-hour break of their own, with a luxury hotel stay for two, complimentary of KITKAT.
Bas Korsten, Global Chief Creative Officer at Wunderman Thompson, said: “As a creative I’m honored and privileged to work for such an iconic brand. KITKAT’s advertising history is one of the richest in the world and the relationship we have with the brand is one of the longest in the world. And although, after all those decades, the famous slogan ‘Have a break, have a KitKat’ is getting a well-deserved temporary break, we won’t have a break until we ensure that the next 85 years of KITKAT history is as exciting as the first.”
Agency: Wunderman Thompson
- Global Chief Creative Officer: Bas Korsten
- Chief Creative Officer, Brazil: Keka Morelle
- Global Creative Director: Chermine Assadian
- Creative Directors: Nicolás Romanó, Ana Cavalcanti, Matt Gilmore
- Global Chief Strategy Officer: Simon Law
- Global Planning Director: Joao Caputi
- Chief Data Officer: Jason Carmel
- Director of Data Science: Ilinca Barsan
- Technology Director: Cole Peterson
- Experience Technology Director: Shawn Herron
- Head of Digital Production: Julian Poole
- Art Director: Rafael Falco + Rob Bovington
- Copywriters: Renato Fernandes + Vinicius Dias + Stephen Webley
- Global Client Partner for Nestle: Sasan Saeidi
- Global Senior Account Director: Loren Hargreaves
- Account Directors: Stefano Paduan
- Account Manager: Jayme Neto
- Agency Producers: Robert Morgan, Verity de Courcy Norman
- Director/ Production Co: Marcus Prado
- Editor: Marcus Prado