Global agency We Are Social is celebrating Cannes creativity with an interactive cartogram, presenting the past 10 years of the Cannes Lions according to the countries that have won them.
The agency has developed the “Cannesogram” to show which countries have been most successful across a number of key categories at the awards. The countries are displayed with a combination of color and size changes according to how successful they have been in the revered adland awards.
Hovering the cursor over a specific country brings up its record of Cannes Lions wins – Grand Prix, Golds, Silvers and Bronzes. Users can also drill down into the various categories represented in the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity and use a timeline to find out which countries were most successful in specific years.
We Are Social’s interactive cartogram is based on data from Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, between 2005 and 2014. Among the interesting patterns it reveals are:
- Cyber is consistently dominated by the US, Europe and Japan.
- Film is still a category the UK rules, alongside the US.
- Outdoor is ruled by Brazil, with Europe also performing consistently.
- The UK and Europe have been doing well in the relatively new category of PR.
- Brazil rules in terms of Press.
- South Africa is the king of Radio.
- Awards have been more widely spread as the decade progressed. While US remains strong, countries like Russia, Turkey and the UAE have made it on to the map. South American countries have also shown in a post-2011 spurt.
James Nester, creative director at We Are Social and a 2015 Cannes Lions Cyber judge, said the exercise provided an illuminating insight into global creativity:
There’s always a lot of debate about which countries do best at Cannes. So we thought we’d use data to show the world according to Lions wins. It’s fascinating to see how fast the creative landscape has changed, and revealing to see that different countries consistently own different categories.
We Are Social is a global creative agency with an international team of over 550 and offices in New York, San Francisco, London, Paris, Milan, Munich, Singapore, Shanghai, Sydney and São Paulo. The agency has on its roster clients like adidas, Heinz, Kimberly-Clark, Mondelēz, Heineken, Google, HSBC, Intel and Expedia on global, regional and local projects.