During the week-end, the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) officially kicked off its first major ad campaign in 20 years. Called “Made You Look,” the campaign was developed in partnership with the Chicago office of FCB, and is a fully integrated effort – spanning digital, social, print and OOH – that reintroduces the museum to new and returning visitors following a major building redesign.
The MCA is one of the major tourism drivers for Chicago, bringing in record-breaking attendance in the last few years for exhibitions on David Bowie and Japanese contemporary artist Takashi Murakami. Its new restaurant, Marisol, one of the features of the redesign, is also getting on many national “best restaurants” lists.
Reflecting the energy, excitement and buzz at the MCA, one of the centerpieces of the new campaign is a series of six-second, high-energy, high-impact videos that make people stop and think (“Made You Look”) about what they are seeing. Both the videos and digital, print and OOH ads feature some of the exhibitions currently on display at the MCA, as well as some of the museum’s new experiences and highlights following the building redesign (ex: the new restaurant Marisol; a new social engagement space, the Commons, that is located in the very architectural center of the museum; the new MCA sign in soft-yellow lights on the building’s front)
The Made You Look campaign reflects the energy and excitement of the MCA right now. The redesigned museum is always changing, blurring the lines between art, food, design, and learning. This campaign allows us to tell those ever-changing stories. We were very excited to work with FCB Chicago on this playful, welcoming campaign.
Director of Communications MCA
The ‘Made You Look’ campaign invites the public to take a second, deeper look at the MCA (…) It introduces new and returning visitors to eye-opening experiences in new, immersive spaces that broaden, challenge and strengthen their perspective of art and the human experience at large.
Chief Creative Officer of FCB Chicago
MCA “Made You Look” Credits:
Client: Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA)
- Lauren Smallwood: Director of Communications
- Abraham Ritchie: Social Media Manager
- Melissa Roels: Coordinator of Marketing
Agency: FCB Chicago
- Chief Creative Officer: Liz Taylor
- EVP, Head of Design: Kevin Grady
- EVP, Executive Creative Director: Ecole Weinstein
- Creative Director: Nok Sangdee
- Associate Creative Director: John Potter
- Management Director of Integrated Production Services: Kerry Hill
- Executive Producer: Audrey Wojtonik
- Producer: Jeannie Slezak
- Associate Traffic Manager: Kate Vilt
- VP, Director of Music: Stump Mahoney
- VP, Director of Strategic Planning: Katie Lowman
- VP, Group Management Director: Brooke Ward
- Account Supervisor: Eric Lessens
Production: Lord + Thomas
- Editor: Dave Cullen
- Senior Motion Designer: Brian Steckel
- Senior Producer: Clare Deady