A few months ago, Hewlett-Packard and 180LA launched the campaign #BendTheRules to show the world how a computer that bends in half – HP Pavilion x360, a versatile hybrid notebook/tablet with 360-degree hinge that allows users to adapt to any situation – can help people bend the rules of what’s possible.
Professional big wave surfer Ian Walsh was enlisted to use the x360 to find a wave that had never been surfed before—a ghost wave. The adventure was documented by award-winning filmmaker Taylor Steele, who has directed and produced over 40 best-selling titles starring the world’s best surfers and musicians.
Technology and surfing might seem like an odd pairing until you realize how much big wave surfers use and depend on technology to track down these monster waves
Chief Creative Officer 180LA.
The final product, “Ghost Wave,” is an eight-minute documentary short that follows the surf team as last minute conditions point them to West South Africa. While there the team meets up with fellow world champion surfer Grant “Twiggy” Baker to help evaluate surfing conditions.
While other surfers were picking up news of growing swells in South Africa and heading to Dungeon’s, the usual surf location, Ian and his team used technology, guts, and a little bit of luck, to find a remote location that’d never been surfed. The payoff were 40+ foot waves, the biggest Ian’s surfed outside of Hawaii. Journey’s videos are available here
#BendTheRules & “Ghost Wave”
180LA for Hewlett-Packard
- Global CEO: Michael Allen
- Executive Creative Director: William Gelner
- Creative Directors: Adam Groves, Zac Ryder
- Copywriter: Mike Van Linda
- Art Director: Brandon Sides
- Head of Production: Natasha Wellesley
- Senior Producer: David Emery
- Associate Account Director: Mike Slatkin
- Account Manager: Jamie Friedman
- Account Coordinator: Allison Landrum
- Director: Taylor Steele
- Camera: Starr Whitesides
- Producer: Jeff Tannebring
- Editor: Brandon Porter
- Producer: Evan Cunningham
- Executive Producer: Joni Williamson
TBD – Recording Studio
Carbon VFX – Finishing Company:
- Lead Flame: Pete Mayer
- Executive Producer: Marlo Baird Kinsey
- Associate Producer: Nick Vassil
- SVP, PPS WW Marketing: Rob Le Bras-Brown
- VP, PPS WW Marketing, Consumer PC: Vikrant Batra
- PPS Product Manager: Eben Strousse
- Integrated Marketing Comm. Manager: Melissa Barroso