In celebration of the 150th anniversary of the Jack Daniel Distillery, the oldest registered distillery in the U.S., Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey today announced the Jack Daniel’s Barrel Hunt, a global scavenger hunt that will unite Friends of Jack across the world. The first Barrel Hunt will take place at the home of the distillery in Lynchburg on July 1 and visit more than 50 countries in 90 days. Jack Daniel’s will provide clues via its local Facebook pages to help fans find the hidden whiskey barrels around the world, giving them the opportunity to win unique, specially designed prizes to commemorate the distillery’s 150th anniversary.
“Jack Daniel’s has grown from a local name in Lynchburg to an iconic brand in more than 170 countries by remaining true to its legacy of authenticity, independence and integrity,” said Mark McCallum, President of Jack Daniel’s. “The 150th anniversary is a major milestone for the distillery and is a perfect opportunity to invite everyone to join us in our celebration of Jack Daniel’s with our first-ever global Barrel Hunt.
From July through September, 150 handcrafted whiskey barrels will be hidden in various regions across the globe at historic and cultural sites, with clues on Jack Daniel’s Facebook pages to help guide fans to the secret location. Clues tied to the history of each region will be provided on the day of each local Barrel Hunt and barrels will be opened when the first person to arrive speaks the correct barrel password. Updates and results will be shared as barrels are found around the world and prizes are claimed in each region.
Each hidden barrel in the scavenger hunt was handcrafted from the distillery and used to mature Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey before being specially fabricated for the Barrel Hunt to house prizes, including an original, one-of-a-kind bar kit made with white oak from the barrels. Barrel Hunt winners will also receive the authentic Jack Daniel’s barrel they found along with prizes tailored to each region that participates in the Barrel Hunt.
“The barrel is key to crafting Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey as it accounts for 100 percent of its color and 70 to 80 percent of its flavor,” said Jack Daniel’s Master Distiller Jeff Arnett. “It’s an important part of our process that’s remained unchanged for 150 years, and that tradition will continue to live on in every barrel we make and each drop of our whiskey. The Barrel Hunt celebrates the distillery’s history and gives fans a chance to own a barrel and be forever linked to Jack Daniel’s.”
Client: Jack Daniel’s
- President: Mark McCallum
- VP, Global Brand Director: Phil Epps
- Global Brand Manager: Jamie Butler
- Global PR Manager: Svend Jansen
Agency: Arnold Worldwide
- Global Chief Creative Officer: Jim Elliott
- Executive Creative Director: Wade Devers
- Creative Directors: Greg Farley, John Simpson
- Art Directors: Brittany Riley, Daniel Massih, Ira Cummings, Jocelyn Leveille
- Copywriters: Lora Faris, Moon Yang
- User Experience: Jordan Clayton
- Development: Chris Gladney
- Planner: Vaughn Allen
- Marketing: Paul Nelson, Emily Brooks, Mallory Brannan, Lindsy Frank
- Digital Producers: Rebecca Chaplick, James Murdock
- Broadcast Production: Alissa Feldbau
- Art Producers: Ingrid Adamow, Dayna Stanley
- Brand Experience: John Raftery, Carly Neil
- Business Affairs: Maria Rougvie, Amy Wilcox
Media Agency: Mediavest
PR Agency: DVL
- Bar Kit Fabrication: !ND!V!DUALS
- Barrel Fabrication: Sonalysts
- Editing, Social Content: Sweet Rickie, Editbar, Studio 6