Bob Greenberg, ANDY Chairman, and his creative team from R/GA produced an unusual, eye-catching online campaign that gets anyone with the mind to a blockbuster film predicting the end of the world based on ancient Mayan scripture.The campaign – a colorful, fast paced and energetic – was produce to encourage global creatives to enter the ANDYs before it’s too late
ANDY Awards marketing has gone entirely digital for the 3rd year in the row, its Call-for-Entry being an online effort.
[youtube caMHbC_mqcc nolink]
The new campaign went recently live on competition’s site and opens with a bold headline – “Enter Now Before The Apocalypse” – against an enormous flaming asteroid headed for Earth. Copy continues to explain that centuries ago, the Mayans predicted the end of the world in 2012, reminding creatives this will be their best chance to win “the last award of your life” – underscoring this given the fact that the ANDYs are the first show of the 2012 season. The campaign also presents the unique, fascinating idea by R/GA to place the ANDY winners in a time capsule underground data bunker at the conclusion of the Show, enabling the work to be saved “for all eternity”.
[youtube MexvtEhaSvY nolink]
The campaign concept originated from our wanting to light a fire under people and give them a real sense of urgency to enter the ANDYs
Award shows like the ANDYs not only salute the creativity and vision of advertising but are a source of inspiration to both industry leaders as well as up-and-coming young talent. The best of the best is what we all aspire to each day and we hope this campaign encourages creatives around the world to enter the exciting foray of competition.
In addition to the time capsule, the campaign will have other fresh new components. Facebook, a sponsor of this year’s Show, will not only be supporting the ANDYs on the Facebook platform but planning highly interactive elements to make the ANDYs a more social experience for the entrants and winners during Final Judging, this February in Kauai, Hawaii and at the Show & Party, in New York City in April. Banner advertising is scheduled as part of the marketing program, appearing on the sites of all ANDY global media partners: Adforum, Australian Creative, Best Ads on TV, Campaign, Campaign Brief, Campaign India, Creativity, Latin Spots, Luerzer’s Archive, Marketing Magazine and TAXI.
R/GA “Apocalypse” was realize by a team including Bob Greenberg – Chairman/CEO/Global Chief Creative Officer, Leif Abraham – Creative Director, Christian Behrendt – Creative Director, Andrew Eaton – Associate Creative Director, Arye Dworken – Senior Copywriter, Rebecca Schepps – Copywriter, Will Binder – Junior Copywriter, Alvaro Masa – Visual Designer, Mark Voelpel – Executive Creative Director Digital Services, Can Misirlioglu – Creative Director Digital Services, Silas Starr – Designer / Animator Digital Services, Ben Plimpton – Designer / Animator Digital Services, Vincent OuYoung – Senior Open Standards Developer, Jon Hackett – Technical Team Leader, Michele Nauman – Senior Producer, Sarah Ko – Producer, Jonny Sabbath – Associate Director Social Media, Lucy Swope – Community Manager, Michael Lowenstern – Managing Director of Digital Advertising and Wing Cheung – Associate Producer.
I really love what R/GA brought us this year, hoping that the Mayans don’t turn out to be right (…) The campaign feels more like an action film or computer game than a Call-for-Entry. We have seen an increase in global entries, integrated campaigns and work that has turned traditional advertising on its head, and hope that the new campaign will serve to attract those in the business doing the most groundbreaking, innovative work
President and CEO The ADVERTISING Club, producer of ANDY Awards.
The jury of 2012 ANDYs includes
- Bob Greenberg, Chairman/CEO/Global Chief Creative Officer, R/GA, New York
- Stephan Beringer, President, Digitas International, London & Paris
- Colleen Decourcy, Founder/CEO, Socialistic, New York
- Pete Favat, Chief Creative Officer, Arnold Worldwide, Boston
- Rei Inamoto, Chief Creative Officer, AKQA, New York
- Prasoon Joshi, Executive Chairman, McCann Erickson India, Mumbai
- Jon Kamen, Chairmen & CEO, @radical.media, New York
- Masashi Kawamura, Founder/Creative Director, Party Inc., Toyko
- Andrew Keller, Partner/Chief Creative Officer, CP+B, Boulder
- Josė Mollá, Founder/Creative Director, la comunidad, Miami
- Ty Montague, Co-Founder, Co: Collective, New York
- Do Cao Nguyen, Executive Creative Director, Clipper Indochine, Vietnam
- David Nobay, Creative Chairman, Droga5, Sydney
- Benjamin Palmer, Co-Founder/CEO, The Barbarian Group, New York
- Patricia Päetzold, Group Creative Director, kempertrautmann, Hamburg
- Vivian Rosenthal, Founder/CEO, GoldRun & Co-Founder, Tronic Studio, New York
- Stefan Sagmeister, Founder, Sagmeister, Inc., New York
- Bob Scarpelli, Chairman and Chief Creative Officer, DDB Worldwide, New York
- Jimmy Smith, Amusement Park Entertainment, Los Angeles
- Calvin Soh, Singapore
- Iain Tait, Global Interactive Executive Creative Director, Wieden+Kennedy, Portland
- Mark Tutssel, Chief Creative Officer, Leo Burnett Worldwide, Chicago
- Mark Waites, Founding Partner/Joint Creative Director, Mother, London
- Simon Waterfall, Creative Director, Fray, London
The ADVERTISING Club is the premier organization for all communications professionals in New York. The Club, founded in 1896, offers its members a forum to exchange ideas, make connections and honor excellence. The Club’s Foundation provides students numerous educational outreach programs that give back to build a stronger and more diverse advertising and marketing community. The Club is the facilitating sponsor of the International ANDY Awards, which acknowledge outstanding creative achievement around the world in the field of advertising.